New data from a Pureprofile survey uncovers some insights around Valentine's Day:
Will you be celebrating Valentine’s Day?
- 53% of Australians have no interest in Valentine’s Day while 47% will be celebrating - similar for Males (27%) and females (31%)
- Almost ⅓ (29% will be celebrating with their other half)
- 6% are only celebrating to please their other half
- More Males will be surprising someone on Valentines Day (8%) versus 3% of Females
- More Males are celebrating to make the other half happy (9%) versus 3% on females)
- More females will be celebrating with their family/friends (9%) versus 4% Males.
- Older generation 55+ more likely to have no interest (73%+) than younger generation (36% of 18-34ys)
Ideal Valentine’s Day Gift
Most popular gifts in order:
- Dinner Out - 43%
- Dinner cooked for me/with me - 23%
- Flowers - 30%
- Chocolates/Confectionery - 23%
- Don't mind - 20%
- Jewelery - 16%
- Dinner is the most popular choice of celebration for Australians celebrating - 43% prefer dinner out at a restaurant and 23% prefer dinner cooked for me / with me.
- Dinner out favoured by older age groups (55% of 55-64yrs, 45% of 65+years and 44% of 35-44yrs). Dinner cooked for me/with me favoured by younger generations (30% of 18-24yrs and 33% of 24-35yrs)
- Flowers are wanted by both men and women but men have a stronger preference (32%) compared to females (29%).
- Jewelery is favoured by women and high preference from 25-34yrs (25%).
- Males are more favoured to want tech gifts (8%) and aged 25-34yrs (13%)
- Gift vouchers are preferred by women (16%) and aged 25-34yrs (16%)
- The middle to older age groups don’t mind what they receive as a gift.
Methodology - this data is from Pureprofile Australia panel survey with 1,018 respondents between Feb 2-5, 2018.